Ten Quotes from Agatha Christie
This is to celebrate the 125th anniversary of her birth.
Dame Agatha Christie was an English crime novelist. To my mind, she is synonymous with all things British. Indeed, her characters were always very English even when the story was set abroad.
She created two of crime fiction’s most memorable characters, Hercule Poirot, the legendary Belgian detective and Miss Marple.
Agatha Christie is a Guinness World Record author: her work has been translated in more languages than Shakespeare.
The following ten quotes were either said by Agatha Christie or one of her characters.
1. “It is a curious thought, but it is only when you see people looking ridiculous that you realize just how much you love them. ” (from her Autobiography)
2. “The impossible could not have happened, therefore the impossible must be possible in spite of appearances.” (Murder on the Orient Express)
3. “A mother’s love for her child is like nothing else in the world. It knows no law, no pity. It dares all things and crushes down remorselessly all that stands in its path”. (The Hound of Death)
4. “Poirot,” I said. “I have been thinking.”
“An admirable exercise my friend. Continue it.” (Peril at End House)
5. “An archaeologist is the best husband a woman can have. The older she gets, the more interested he is in her.” (Agatha Christie)
6. “Never do anything yourself that others can do for you.” (The Labours of Hercules)
7. “The best time for planning a book is while you’re doing the dishes. ” (Agatha Christie)
(This is exactly when I plan my blog posts!)
8. “One doesn’t recognize the really important moments in one’s life until it’s too late.” (Agatha Christie)
9. “Instinct is a marvelous thing. It can neither be explained nor ignored.” (The Mysterious Affair at Styles)
10. “Never tell all you know—not even to the person you know best.” (The Secret Adversary)
Quotes Source: Good Reads