Russian-Style Pickled Mushrooms
Ready in 1 hour
1 quart water
1/8 cup pickling salt
6 cloves garlic
3 whole bay leaf
20 whole black peppercorns
2 tbsp dried dill; or several springs fresh dill
10-20 oz Shiitake mushrooms
1. Clean mushrooms, remove hard parts of the stems, let sit in cold water until ready to blanch.
2. Boil 1quart water, add pickling salt. Let boil for 1-2 minutes, turn off the heat and let stand. This is the pickling solution.
3. In a separate pot, boil enough water to fit all the mushrooms. Add mushrooms, cook for 1-2 minutes. Drain.
4. Clean a glass jar, and rinse with boiling hot water.
5. Place garlic, bay leaf, peppercorns and dill in the jar. Place blanched mushrooms in the jar. Cover with the pickling solution. Discard the remaining solution.
6. Let stand 4-5 days, stirring approximately once a day.
Notes : If the pickling solution is too salty, rinse the mushrooms before eating.
Credits : Mekei