Alhambra Palace, Granada, Spain
The Alhambra’s Islamic palaces were built for the last Muslim emirs in Spain and the court of the Nasrid dynasty.
After the Reconquista by the Reyes Católicos (“Catholic Monarchs”) in 1492, some portions were used by Christian rulers. The Palace of Charles V, built by Charles V, Holy Roman Emperor in 1527, was inserted in the Alhambra within the Nasrid fortifications.
After being allowed to fall into disrepair for centuries, the Alhambra was rediscovered in the 19th century by European scholars and travelers, with restorations commencing. It is now one of Spain’s major tourist attractions (and UNESCO World Heritage Site), exhibiting the country’s most significant and well known Islamic architecture, together with 16th-century and later Christian building and garden interventions.