Stir-Fried Bamboo Shoots
1/4 kg fresh bamboo shoots (or canned-sliced)
3 tbsp. cooking oil (vegetable or peanut oil)
3 tsp. fish sauce (patis)
1 tsp. turmeric
Dash of chili powder (depending on how spicy you want it)
1 small red onion sliced
1 small green chili sliced
1. Rub the bamboo shoots with a tablespoon of salt to squeeze out the excess liquid for about a minute. Then rinse it out in running water. Soak in water and set aside.
2. In a wok or frying pan, put the cooking oil (pan must be heated). Stir-fry the onions.
3. Put the turmeric and chili powder together, and add quickly the soaked bamboo shoots (water drained).
4. Stir-fry for a minute then add the fish sauce and chicken powder (or any seasoning powder) (*You can also add fresh prawns or dry prawns (soaked in water then pounded)
5. Add the green chili and continue to stir-fry until the chili changes color and you can see the oil. Remove from heat.