Doro Wat: Spicy Ethiopian Chicken Stew
4 skinless chicken legs, separated into thigh and drumstick
3 tablespoons lemon juice
1⁄4 cup unsalted butter
2 large onions, finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons paprika
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1⁄2 teaspoon ground fenugreek
1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
1⁄2 teaspoon cardamom
1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1⁄4 teaspoon coriander powder
1 pinch ground cinnamon
1 pinch clove
1 pinch nutmeg
1 pinch allspice
1 cup water
4 hard-boiled eggs, peeled
1. Place chicken in non-reactive dish and season with salt.
2. Drizzle with lemon juice; turn to coat.
3. Marinate 30 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, in large pot, heat butter over medium and add onion.
5. Cook, stirring, 5 minutes.
6. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring, until soft (8 minutes).
7. Stir in garlic and cook 2 minutes.
8. Stir in paprika, black pepper, fenugreek, cumin, cardamom, cayenne, coriander, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg and allspice and cook 2 minutes.
9. Stir in water, add chicken pieces and raise heat to high.
10. When mixture is bubbling, cover and reduce heat to maintain gentle simmer.
11. Cook, turning pieces occasionally, until chicken is tender (30 to 40 minutes).
12. Remove lid; add eggs.
13. Cook until eggs heated through (10 minutes).
14. Season sauce to taste with salt.