Australian Fruit Cake
This three ingredient fruit cake recipe just seems impossible until you see the result come out of the oven and can enjoy a delicious moist fruit cake.
1 kg mixed dried fruit
2 1/2 cups (625ml) fruit juice
2 cups self-raising flour
1. Place mixed dried fruit in a medium saucepan and pour over 2 cups of fruit juice. Bring to the boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for 3 minutes. Remove from heat and leave to cool for 2 hours.
2. Preheat oven to 150°C fan-forced or 170°C conventional. Line a 20cm round spring form tin with baking paper and set aside.
3. Sift the self-raising flour over the soaked fruit and stir well until completely combined. Use the remaining half cup of juice if needed to make a moist mixture.
4. Pour into cake tin and bake for 2 hours on the lowest shelf.
5. Remove from oven and leave cake to cool entirely in the tin.
6. Wrap in foil and keep in an airtight container for 2-3 days before slicing.
You can use apple juice, orange juice, pineapple juice or even prune juice.
This cake is not overly sweet as it gets its sweetness from the fruit. If you prefer a sweet cake you should add three tablespoons of brown sugar while the mixture is simmering in the pan.