Tomato Basil Soup
2 tbsp olive oil
1 small onion chopped
2 cloves of garlic, diced/crushed
1 can – including juice – of whole peeled tomatoes (I used Italissima – they come seasoned)
3 cups of chicken or vegetable stock
4-5 basil leaves, finely chopped
1 tsp sugar
Salt and pepper
1. In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil
2. Sautee the onion and garlic until translucent
3. Add tomatoes, chicken stock, basil leaves, and sugar to the pot.
4. Bring to a boil, then turn heat down and simmer for approximately 30 min
5. Puree with an immersion blender until desired consistency is reached
6. Top with diced basil leaves or croutons
Serve it with croutons or crumble up on basil and sprinkle it on top of the soup.