Saint Lucia buns – Lussekatter – Swedish Saffron buns
1. Servings 24
2. 300 ml milk
3. 1 g saffron
4. 50 g baker’s yeast
5. 150 g sugar
6. 125 g butter or 125 g margarine
7. 700 g all-purpose flour
8. 1 egg
1. Melt butter or margarine in a pan and add the milk and the saffron.
2. Warm the mixture to 37 C (100 F).
3. Use a thermometer; the correct temperature is important!
4. Pour the mixture over the finely divided yeast; then add the remaining ingredients (except for the egg and the raisins), which should have a temperature of 21-23 C (72-75 F).
5. Mix into a smooth dough.
6. Cover the dough with a piece of cloth and let it rise for 30 minutes.
7. Knead the dough, divide it into 25-30 pieces and form each piece into a round bun.
8. Let the buns rest for a few minutes, covered by a piece of cloth.
9. Form each bun into a string, 15-20 cm long, then arrange the string in a suitable shape, e.g. an S or double S. Regardless of the shape, the ends of the string should meet.
10. Press a few raisins into the dough.
11. Cover the”Lucia cats” with a piece of cloth and let them rise for 40 minutes.
12. Whip the egg together with a few grains of salt, and paint the”Lucia cats” with the mixture.
13. Bake them for 5-10 minutes in the oven at 250 C (475 F) until golden brownish yellow.