Spicy Stir-Fried Tofu with Basil and Eggplant
Cooking time 45 minutes
1 pound firm tofu; drained well and cut in 3/4″–1″ cubes
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon peanut oil; more if needed
1 cup chopped green onions
1 large red bell pepper; cut in thin strips
1 medium eggplant; cut in 3/4″ cubes
1 teaspoon hot chili paste; Use more or less depending on how hot you want it (I use sambal oelek)
1 cup fresh basil; chopped (do not chop until just ready to use it)
1. Place tofu in a bowl and marinate it in some soy sauce (about 1 tbsp) for about 10 minutes.
2. Heat half of the peanut oil in a very large skillet or wok.
3. Add green onions and red pepper and sauté for a minute or two.
4. Add tofu and continue to sauté the mixture for 2 or 3 minutes.
5. Push all ingredients to the sides of the pan (or set aside in a bowl).
6. Add the remaining peanut oil and then sauté the eggplant until it starts to brown. Be careful not to cook it too long or it will get mushy.
7. Stir all ingredients together and add a bit more soy sauce if desired.
8. Stir in hot chili paste and chopped basil and serve immediately with rice.