The Belogorsky Monastery
The Belogorsky Monastery’s history is as cold as its surroundings : temperatures can go as low as -38C !
On September 16, 1897 on the Belaya Mountain arrived the first procession from Moscow and St. Petersburg on, was delivered five holy icons. In November 16, 1897, the wooden church burnt down. Construction on the new, two-story, stone church began in June 1902, but it was opened only in 1917.
Tragic events took place in the monastery in 1918. On August 12, 1918, the Bolsheviks tortured and threw the monastery’s Archimandrite Varlaam into the river Kama. From August 1918 to January 1919, the Bolsheviks executed and tortured 34 monks of the monastery. In March 1923, the monastery was completely closed.
During Soviet times, the monastery was used as a nursing and invalid home. Reconstruction of the monastery began in late 1980s.