Chop Steak with Caramelized Onions and Mushrooms
“Chop” steak is actually just lean ground beef patties, like a burger with no bun.
• 12 oz./360 g ground lean meat
• 1 tsp. of olive oil
• 1/2 yellow onion, sliced thick
• 1 cup domestic mushrooms
• 4 oz./120 g beef stock
• 1 tsp. of fresh thyme
• 1 oz./30 g unsalted whole butter
• 1 potato, peeled and diced
• 1/3 cup diced raw bacon
• Kosher salt and cracked fresh pepper to taste
1. In a hot skillet add in bacon and cook until crispy. Once bacon is cooked reserve to the side and use the same pan to caramelize the diced potato.
2. Once they are nice and brown throw the bacon back in the pan, season with salt and pepper and finish in the over on 400 F for 10-15 minutes.
3. Next, form the ground meat into one 8-12 oz./240-360 g patty. Season well with salt and pepper and in a hot skillet with 1 teaspoon of olive oil, sear ground meat to desired temperature (If you are not comfortable cooking the beef through on the cooktop, then finish in the oven on 400 F for 8-12 minutes).
4. Once meat is cooked set aside, and in the same pan add in onions and mushrooms to caramelize.
5. Once the vegetables are nice and golden brown, deglaze with the beef stock add in the thyme and reduce the amount of liquid in half by cooking on high heat.
6. Finish the sauce with butter and salt and pepper and pour over chop steak.