Classic chicken Kiev
An amazing Russian recipe.
150g butter, softened
2 garlic cloves, crushed
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
4 chicken breast fillets
1 cup dried breadcrumbs
1/2 cup plain flour
Some oil, for shallow frying
Potatoes mashed or other kind and steamed vegetables, to serve
1. Place butter, garlic and parsley in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Mash with a fork to combine. Spoon mixture into the centre of a 20cm piece of plastic wrap. Roll up to enclose butter mixture, twisting ends to seal. Roll on a board to form a 10cm-long log. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until firm.
2. Using a sharp knife, make a deep cut along 1 side of each chicken breast to form a large pocket (do not cut all the way through). Remove plastic wrap from butter. Cut butter into 16 thick slices. Place 4 butter slices into each pocket. Secure with toothpicks to enclose filling.
3. Place breadcrumbs on a large plate. Season with salt and pepper. Place flour on a plate. Whisk eggs in a shallow bowl. Coat 1 piece of chicken in flour, shaking off excess. Dip in egg. Coat in breadcrumbs. Place on a plate. Repeat with remaining chicken, flour, egg and breadcrumbs.
4. Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan-forced. Grease a large baking tray. Pour enough oil into a large frying pan to cover the base. Heat over medium-high heat. Cook chicken, in batches, for 2 to 3 minutes each side or until golden. Place on prepared tray. Bake for 20 minutes or until cooked through.
5. Serve with some potatoes and steamed vegetables