Mandarin Orange Trifle Recipe
Prepare this Mandarin Orange Trifle when you are looking for a light refreshing dessert.
1 packet of trifle sponges or sponge cake cut into small pieces
1 1/4 cups milk
1 1/2 tablespoons all purpose flour
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 egg, slightly beaten
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2 (300gr cans) mandarin oranges
Note* Use the juice from the mandarine oranges to make an orange sauce
If you need more liquid use orange juice or lemon juice
1 1/2 cups orange juice from the canned mandarin oranges
4 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoon cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
1 cup heavy whipping cream
4 teaspoons honey
•1.Open the 2 cans of mandarin oranges, drain the juice into a bowl and set the orange slices aside.
• 1.Scald the milk in a saucepan on the stovetop.
• 2.In a separate saucepan combine the flour, sugar and salt. Gradually add the scaleded milk, stirring constantly until thickened. Cover and cook for 2 minutes.
• 3.Stir a little bit of the hot mixture into the slightly beaten egg, then blend back into the remaining hot mixture.
• 4.Cook one minute longer, remove from heat and stir in the vanilla.
• 5.Let cool before combining into the trifle.
• 1.Mix the orange juice, orange squash, sugar and cornflour and cook until thick, while stirring continously. Allow to cool.
• 2. Add the lemon juice and mix gently.
• 3.Taste the sauce and if you want sweeter add a little more sugar.
• 1.In a large chilled bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add honey; beat until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
•1. Layer the pieces of cake, mandarin oranges, pudding, orange sauce and whipping cream in each glass.
• 2. Top with the orange sauce layer and mandarine orange slices.
Makes 6 or more, depending on the size of the glasses you are using.