TYENDINAGA – Two barricades have closed roads as Mohawk protesters have ramped up their actions in a bid for an inquiry into missing women across Canada.
Information protests began Sunday night but have since grown to road closures.
“We came in with about 80 guys last night (Sunday), anticipating the possibility of confrontations so we came in heavy at about 8:30 p.m. last night,” said protestor Shawn Brant.
Brant, who promised such action last week, said things have remained “fairly quiet” at the blockade scenes.
“We want to create opportunity for national discussion and awareness on the issue that’s facing us right now with the murder of missing women,” he said. “We are going to be out here as long as it’s necessary to facilitate that and movement by the government to create a federal strategy and call a national inquiry into this tragedy.”
The well-known protester said having the government take action would be a signal that Canada cares about the fate of those missing women and those who are responsible.
“It would show that Canada cares, that government recognizes overwhelming numbers of people that are being lost,” he said. “Right now we’re losing one of 400 indigenous women to murder. A national inquiry is a first step in indicating the government has regard and places its value on the lives of First Nations women. “